Second Lieutenant, East Kent Regiment
Born: April 28th 1885
Died: July 1st 1916

Age at Death: 31

Killed in action, France, July 1st 1916

Went to Cheltenham College. Member of the H.A.C. for four years, received his first commission in Spetember 1914, and went to the front in July 1915, being promoted Captain in September 1915. Married to Phyllis, daughter to Mr. J. Preston Bell of The Gables, Chipstead, Surrey. (Information taken from newspaper clipping)

Son of Frank Neame of Macknade, Herbert River, Queensland. Brother to Harold B Neame (BC reg. 2595) and cousin to Geoffrey Neame (Ju. 1893-1897), Frederick I. Neame (BC reg2529) and to Harold Thomas Belcher (Sc. 1885-93), Raymond Douglas Belcher (Ju./Sc. 1892-00), Gordon Belcher (Ju. / Sc. 1894-04).

A donation to the memorial statue has been made in honour of this soldier by Suzanne and Robert Hollamby.

Gerald Tassel Neame  (Junior House 1896-99)

Geoffrey Neame was born on 28th April 1885 in Horewood, Surrey. He was the eldest son and first child, of Frank Neame, who owned sugar refinery in Mcnade, Australia, and his wife Louisa (nee Bennet). He was the paternal 1st cousin of Geoffrey Neame and the maternal first cousin of the Belchers. At the College Neame distinguished himself both on the sports field, playing football and cricket for the Junior XI, and academically, wining the Latin and German prizes.  In 1899 Neame went to Cheltenham College and thereafter lived by ‘his own means’, indicating that the family was by 1911 very wealthy.

On the outbreak of war Neame joined the East Kent Regiment and received his commission in the 7th Battalion, East Kent Regiment (“the Buffs”), a New Army unit which formed part of the 18th Division, and was posted to France in July 1915, being promoted to Captain in late 1915. While on leave in early 1916 he married Phyllis Bell on 27th February 1916, in what was described as a ‘fashionable marriage’. On the first day of the Somme Campaign, 1st July 1916, he took part in the assault on Montauban, the Battalion suffered heavy losses early in the initial assault and, although relatively successful by the standards of the 1st day of the Somme, Neame’s company, which had been held in reserve, was required at midday to take the final German positions. It was in the course of this engagement, in the early afternoon, that Neame was killed in action.

His grave is in Delville Wood Cemetery, Longueval, France.

Source: LEST WE FORGET Project, Brighton College 2014-15